Sally Field is famous for getting excited at the 1985 Academy Awards ceremony about the fact that her peers like her. And these days, that’s the reaction you may have when people choose to “Like” your business and organization’s Facebook Page. But what happens after the Like?
Yes, when it comes to Facebook, it’s important to be Liked. After people Like your Page, you need to engage them and drive them to take action. That’s how you’ll get results. How do you actually do that? Here are some tips:
1. Feature an exclusive offer. One of the best ways to see results from your Page is to frequently run special offers specifically for your Facebook fans. In fact, in a study of consumer behavior on Facebook we found that two of the top 5 reasons people Like a Page were to receive discounts and promotions, and to gain access to exclusive content.
2. Ask questions. One of the best ways to engage your Facebook fans is to ask them simple, open-ended questions that allow them to share their views. Be sure to add a strong call to action that tells people to comment.
3. Share other people’s content. While it’s great to post your own content, it’s perfectly acceptable to post links to articles, photos, or videos you find interesting or informative — just make sure to give credit to the author!
4. What’s new? Is there something exciting happening at your business or organization? Maybe it’s a new product or service, a new partnership, or a new employee. If you’re excited, there is a good chance your fans will be excited too. Even better, share the news in a quick video that will more visibly demonstrate your enthusiasm.
5. Respond to comments. If you’re creating great customer experiences and/or posting great content, there is a good chance people will respond. Make sure you thank them for their messages — even if they are negative — and answer any questions they may have.
6. Share motivational/inspirational quotes or statements. These are always good for a “Like” or a share. They’re also a good way to see what beliefs you share with your fans.
7. Share photos and videos. The most shared (i.e., viral) content on Facebook comes in the form of photos and videos. Be sure to add those to your content mix.
8. Run a “Fan of the Week” feature. This is a great way to say ‘thanks’ by putting the spotlight on your fans.
9. Just say “thanks” every now and then. It’s simple, yet powerful. Show your fans that you appreciate their attention.
And if you do all this, you’ll find out, just like Sally Field did, how much people really do like you.
Do you have any more suggestions to add to the list? Asking a social media expert by posting your comments on our Facebook Page!
Gina Watkins is a leading expert on e-marketing for small business – and has a real passion for helping businesses to succeed. Her ongoing series of dynamic lectures are filled with real-world examples, humor and results-driven wisdom garnered from more than two decades of sales, business development and marketing experience. In addition to owning her own business, she is an award-winning direct marketer, has been featured on WUSA Channel 9’s Mind Over Money show, Dr. Gayle Carson’s Women In Business radio show, Morgan State’s Briefcase Radio program, and in numerous other media. In her role as Constant Contact Regional Development Director, she’s presented to more than ten thousand seminar attendees about the keys to success with easy, affordable, highly effective technology tools that grow trusted business relationships.