

**ASBDC Board of Directors
Conference Call Meeting Minutes
October 9, 2012**

Meeting called to order by Chairman King at 10:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time.

Board Members present - Chairman Jim King; CEO Tee Rowe, Georgianna Parkin, Vice Chairman; Diane Howerton, Secretary; Mike Young, Treasurer; Christian Conroy; Jim Heckmann; Marc King, Mark Petrilli, and Brett Rogers.

Members Absent: Marc King, Allan Adams

ASBDC Personnel: Brett Thibodeau, taking minutes

Guests: Al Salgado, Jerry Cartwright; Jennifer Beaumont (for Carol Lopucki); Doug Gurley; Bruce Strong.

Approval of September Minutes – Moved for approval by Mike Young, and seconded Diane Howerton. Motion approved.

Treasurers Financial Summary – Mike Young indicated that there were no significant nor extraordinary items during the last period; waiting on the final bills to arrive from 2012 conference.

- Tee Rowe: My crystal ball guess is that we will be in the black for this conference and at least break even. The sponsorships helped. It was also mentioned that Tee audits the hotel bill very closely

President's Report / Legislative Update – Tee stated there was no update on legislative issues as this is a lame duck session; Nothing current on the Hill

- Continual Resolution Funds: SBA may prorate at the 2008 funding level (just in case of sequestration). Tee will provide the 2008 funding levels to the Board. SBA has not received funds but expect in two weeks. Ann Bradbury is doing the usual with the funding priorities. Tee will send a memo on this issue to the Board Liaisons.
-
- Jobs Act Fund: Redistribution of \$94,000 to Vermont, New Hampshire, Washington, Michigan, total returned to the treasury \$225,000.

Foundation – Jim King reported that notices were sent to state directors to express their interest on serving on the ASBDC Foundation Board that are due to Jerry Cartwright by October 9, 2012. As of today we have only received one response stating their interest.

Question from Jim King: – when will notifications/location of the conference hotel to be listed in the newsletter?

Tee Rowe: I am currently at the site visit in Orlando FL. (Peabody Hotel). It is a nice hotel, plenty of meeting spaces. I plan to have the Conference “Call for papers” out by the 15th of October. Information regarding the hotel and conference will be posted in a few weeks.

We will have the board meeting in January and will discuss the conference then. Jim K: Any further questions?

Mike Young: Just a follow up, can we firm up the dates for the January Board meeting.

Tee Rowe : We will Fly in on Monday(28 Jan 2013)

Meet all day on Tuesday (29 Jan 2013)

Meet ½ day on Wednesday (30 Jan 2013)

I will send out the notice shortly.

Question: What are the dates of the 2013 conference?

Tee Rowe: 9-12 September 2013

Question: Nothing scheduled for Friday?

Tee Rowe: Not unless Mike would like to have the accreditation meeting on the back end versus the front end.

Mike Young: No, I would like the accreditation meeting on the front end (Saturday 7 September 2013).

September 8, 2013: Board Meeting

September 9, 2013: Membership Meeting

Chairman: Old Business

State Star reception – More formal? No recognition of accreditation of states. More communication needed.

Tee: I apologize due to communication mix up, however I have already worked Accreditation awards into this year’s run of show (conference 2013).

Because the conference will be in Florida the State Star will not be outside due to heat and the possibility of rain.

Tee Rowe: I would like to recognize everyone without rushing 63 people through and to ensure there is not a cattle call photo op. I want a nice reception where everyone can enjoy themselves. That was the input received previously and we are trying to accommodate.

Jim K: The photo op was too onerous. Recommend the possibility of 2 photographers. This will make it quicker.

Tee Rowe: I think that is a good idea, 2 photographers for the individual photos.

Michelle Abraham: Some state stars mention not enough recognition was provided to them; I also recommend 2 photographers.

Diane: The group photo was a good idea. Possible to communicate it better so all the personnel are present for the photograph.

Tee: I would like to have a group photo done at one of the general luncheons, call them up and have a quick photo. It would be a nice recognition.

(Unsure who stated this): Individual Photos took up the most time.

Jim King: Tee, can we count on you to assign Donna or someone to work this out?

Tee Rowe: Yes, April and Rod (Hollenstine) will be heading it up.

Rationalization of SBA Goals Process

Tee Rowe: I will work with Ann and Chancy – I do not understand how they set the goals. SBA needs to better communicate the process, some confusion between OSBDC and district office role.

-Possible to have Mark Petrilli to work with me on getting some sort of framework put together.

New Business:

1. ASBDC Financial Reserves. Jim King indicated that ASBDC Reserves has been a topic for the past few years. He requested to have 3 board members volunteer to speak offline to propose options on the reserves by the December (2012) board meeting.

Mike Young (Treasurer)

Jim Heckmann

Georgianna Parkin

2. ASBDC Personnel

Staffing:

Tee Rowe: I am reassigning some duties and will have a list to you shortly. Brett Thibodeau to cover the minutes to allow better participation by Secretary.

April: Assist with me in dissemination of information to the network.

Brett: Taking on more conference issues (to free up Betsy and Donna) allowing them to focus on other areas of the conference.

There were no further questions

3. Improving ASBDC Communication:

Jim King asked if there was any feed back through the Liaison group? Mark Petrilli indicated that he was good with communicating through the Board Liaisons as this is a process that was done in the past.

Georgianna: I think we need to keep this constant (the liaison group).

Christian Conroy indicated that updates to the state directors from Tee and Jim can help to build a culture of unity with the Association.

It was discussed that the Board Liaisons provide input and that Jim and Tee provide output of key activities. The Board Liaisons then reinforce back to their respective groups on key topics. The plan is to start this process in November.

(Unsure who stated this): Did we communicate the 2008 funding (based on sequestration) to the network.

Tee: I am not sure if Ann mentioned this at the spring meeting. I know she did at conference. I will get the information out, and have the liaisons present it to the rest of the network.

Mark Petrilli: Good Idea regarding the liaisons group. I recommend that if issues arise that concern state/regional directors, have Tee or the Chair send out initial notification, and have the liaison group conduct a follow up of the information to the rest of the network.

Jim King: This is good. Based on the level of responses for nominations (Luke warm response) Intent to send something out ref nomination by Wednesday. We can get this out through a combination of communication methods, a good way to get responses.

Christian Conroy: I think we need something more formal. Have Tee and the Chair send out something monthly to build a relationship with the association.

Mark Petrilli: We used to do this before, I agree with Christian and have the liaison groups follow up. This will help get responses, and hopefully stop getting multiple emails back from everyone asking for the same information.

Christian Conroy: Communication works both ways. I see the liaison group as a way of gathering information from the network and presenting to us.

Jim K: Yes we will give it a try and start in November. I will draft something up.

4. Foundation Communications:

Is there any expression of concern throughout the network reference the Foundation?

Brett Rogers: Nothing, it seems like it has calmed down after the further explanation was provided.

Jim K: The Foundation Report

Tee: I have it, just need to flesh out the information.

Brett Rogers: Will this go out through Tee and Jim, or through the liaison group?

Tee: I will follow up and have the liaison group follow up on my follow up.

5. Onerous SBA Contract Requirements:

Tee indicated that Ann has a rational approach. Ann has a few more months; she is working with legal to tone down the language. Concern over provision: Anytime a program makes a change, need prior approval from SBA even if there are any changes to websites, prior approval is being required. Tee indicated this is a priority item on Ann's agenda.

Has the portability contract gone out with the new language?
Christian Conroy: Yes

Tee Rowe: It is on the agenda to be addressed. Ann is working with us on improving the language. There is nothing to report with the exception of insisting on changing the language.

Christian Conroy: We have not signed a contract yet. We are already in the 1st quarter. I do not want to set a precedent by signing. Can it be held against us if I sign?

Jim K: If you do sign it, recommend you provide a signing statement. (Signing under protest) State that you object to these clauses because they are unclear, objectionable and onerous.

6. November Legislative Meeting:

Tee Rowe: We are just about set. Starting at dinner, we will have some completed objectives and outline.

Christian will send legislative outlines for specific activities and accomplishments.
Christian Conroy: It will go out as soon as I hear back from Tee.

Jim K: This material will be used at the November meeting to the legislature.

Christian: we want to reconstitute this as a committee to engage them:

1. Assist with messaging to build relationships with members of congress.
2. Build relationships across the country

I will be asking members to join the committee to gather information/feedback prior to the November meeting.

7. Economic Impact Survey:

Joint survey work with the Association and SBA, is proceeding quite well. The SBA will utilize the Association to distribute the survey.

PA, NY and GA have agreed to work with Ann on this. Ann believes this can be accomplished by end of November. Ann to give us a response on the questions they would like included in the joint survey.

Mike Young: Can we get more detailed information on this survey as it will have a large impact on Texas?

Jim K: Yes, Ann is motivated and is a good person to see this through. A Driving goal from SBA is they realize the process in the past was hurting their responses, so they are joining us in surveying clients.

Final:

Jim K: Heard back from Jody; She heads up a committee. The committee wants to be called Special Interest Group with the acronym SIG. She would like to add more interest groups and she feels she will be organized within the next 3-4 weeks. Mark King is the liaison for this.

Jim K: Any additional new business?

Christian Conroy: What is the status of Ann's position?

Tee Rowe: There is a selection; we will have the information within 2 weeks, and that person will start around the middle of November.

They also hired a program manager – his background is community development. ID'd as a mid-thirties guy.

Ann indicated that they will be shifting program managers around.

Mark Petrilli: Did they indicate where the AA candidate is coming from?

Tee Rowe: The AA Candidate is an SES person from within the federal gov't

Diane Howerton: Should we recognize Ann at the November Board meeting?

Tee: yes, that would be appropriate.

No further business being identified, Jim King moved to adjourn, seconded by Diane Howerton. Meeting adjourned at 11:35 am EST.